[syslinux] vesamenu.c32 retain image

Tomas M tomas at slax.org
Sat Sep 1 03:00:14 PDT 2007

> It's a bit messy, because syslinux will reset the screen in order to
> write the "Loading" message;

I understand.
When syslinux loads the kernel, it's already out of vesamenu control.

So perhaps add two options
- one for vesamenu.c32, to retain the image
   (or preferably to display a new one when the menu finishes,
    which will be shown during kernel startup)
   (so it can display a text like 'Linux is loading, wait')
- another option for syslinux/isolinux/etc, to be quiet and don't reset
the screen

> however, it's just a matter of sorting out
> the proper loose ends.
>
> I think I'd like to leave this for post-3.52, but that doesn't mean I'm
> rejecting the idea, just that I'd like to get 3.52 out the door.

I understand.
I'd be very happy if the retained image could appear soon.

As I try LILO and the bmp-retain option, it seems it works only
partially. If the kernel starts to output any text, image vanishes. And
my kernel 2.6.21.5 outputs something even with 'quiet' boot parameter.

So before the implementation for syslinux starts, I'd suggest to verify
whether it is even possible to completely start Linux kernel (up to
/sbin/init execution) with an image on the screen.

Thanks!

Tomas M