[syslinux] FWIW - small bug in a PXE client

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Sep 6 11:58:50 PDT 2007

Op 05-09-2007 om 15:18 schreef Jim Cromie:

> hi HPA,
>
> in case youre collecting such bugs, heres what (I think) I know.
> sorry for the excessive/pedantic detail..
>

> this PXE code
>
> NSC DP83815/DP83816 Fast Ethernet UNDI,
> v1.03
> Copyright (C) 2002, 2003 National Semiconductor Corporation
> All rights reserved.
>
> Pre-boot eXecution Environment  PXE-2.0 (build 082)
> Copyright (C) 1997-2000  Intel Corporation
>

> has a tftp client that requests option tsize on file transfer,
> but then complains about getting it.
> I cant cut-paste from wireshark window, so I'll summarize:
>
> client sends Read Request (1) for pxelinux.0 with option tsize=0,
> tftpd sends Option Acknowledgement (6), tsize = 13940 (the size of v3.51)
>

> client responds with Error Code (5) not defined
>
> It then re-requests Read, this time with option blksize = 1456
>
> tftpd-hpa acknowledges (6) this
>
> client then send Acknowledgment (4) for block 0
> tftpd sends Data Packet (3), block 1, data (1456 bytes)
> client acknoldeges (4) block 1,
> cycle repeats to completion.

Ai! That was hard to parse  (at least for me).

If I understand it correct, it boils down to

  There is a TFTP client that can't talk "tsize" with the hpa-tftp deamon.

If so, then I don't understand which action from this mailinglist is expected.

Could be elaborated what is wanted?

Cheers
Geert Stappers