[syslinux] Creating a bootable partition on a USB disk with syslinux

Ian Brown ianbrn at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 23:28:32 PDT 2007

Hello,
I have a 2GB USB disk on key on /dev/sdb1.
I had created on it one partition (FAT16).
This partition holds all cylinders of the USB disk.

I want to create a bootable Linux USB disk.
For this, I tried:

syslinux -s /dev/sdb1

An than I ran:
fdisk -l /dev/sdb

Disk /dev/sdb: 2048 MB, 2048729600 bytes
64 heads, 62 sectors/track, 1008 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 3968 * 512 = 2031616 bytes

/dev/sdb1               1        1008     1999841    6  FAT16

I expected that fdisk will show '*', meaning that it is a bootable partition.
But as you can see, fdisk shows there is no "*" in /dev/sdb1.

My question is: shouldn't syslinux /dev/sdb1 create a bootable partition ?
Should I use fdisk for it ? (like the "a" command of fdisk,
toggle a bootable flag)

Regards,
Ian