[syslinux] No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32

Frédéric VANNIÈRE f.vanniere at planet-work.com
Thu Sep 20 02:15:34 PDT 2007

H. Peter Anvin a écrit :
> Frédéric VANNIÈRE wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm trying to boot a HP Proliant DL320 G5 with a HP Smart Array E200i
>> RAID card (latest BIOS and latest RAID card firmware).
>>
> Booting from what medium?

The first boot device is PXE on the first NIC. We are using syslinux 3.50
from sources and tftp-hpa on fuse (for dynamic menu generation). The
second boot
device is the RAID card (or the SATA controler)

>> With menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32 from syslinux 3.50 the system hangs
>>
>>    Booting from local disk...
>>      PXE-M0F Exiting
>>

>> With the latest dev version (3.52-pre) it hangs with :
>>
>>    vesamenu.c32: attempted DOS system call
>>
>> The issue has already been reported but with no solution.
>>

> There are no previous emails in the mailing list archive from you.

The mail is "menu.c32 HP Proliant DL360 G5 localboot problem" Aug 25, 2007

> The first thing I would want to know is that all components
> (pxelinux/isolinux/syslinux/etc, memdisk, *.c32 etc) match.

This configuration file doesn't work (menu.c32 or vesamenu.c32):

DEFAULT menu.c32
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
LABEL default
    MENU LABEL Local disk
        localboot 0

This one works :

DEFAULT local
PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 100
LABEL default
    MENU LABEL Local disk
        localboot 0

I've tried 3 versions of syslinux:
  - Syslinux 3.50 -> doesn't work (Booting from local disk...)
  - Syslinux dev -> doesn't work  (attempted DOS system call)
  - official Debian Etch 3.31-4 -> works

Regards,

Frédéric.

--
Frédéric VANNIÈRE
Directeur Technique

PLANET-WORK
231 rue Saint-Honoré
75001 PARIS - FRANCE

Tél : 0891 024 424
Fax : 0141 797 861
Web : http://www.planet-work.fr/

Planet-Work, vecteur de votre image sur Internet