[syslinux] PXELINUX doesn't work with this one

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Thu Sep 20 03:13:52 PDT 2007

Obvious:
This is also a posting to a mailinglist.
That means people may have missed previous postings,
there might people who read once a week, or such,
the MLpostings. Also there are readers of the MLarchive.

Please, please, allow them to read in the discussion order.

For postings other then mailinglists is it also a good thing
to make reading in the chronologic order possible.

And there is the good habit of deleting text
that isn't worth to REtransmit again.

Those who value that habit, will delete the above text ...

Op 20-09-2007 om 08:31 schreef Stéphane ARQUER:
> Le 19/9/2007, "H. Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> a écrit:
> >Vendor and BIOS?
>
> - P4 3GHz 2048M with an Intel 82573L gigabit eth PXE
> vendor: none (assembly)
> Bios: Intel BX97510J.86A.1334.2006.0714.1343
> PXELINUX works on this machine

Okay, that means there is a working server side setup.

> - P4 2GHz 512M with a 3c905c PXE v2.20
> vendor: flexPAC from DOLCH
> Bios : AWARD bios v6.00PG
> PXELINUX doesn't work with this one
>
> - HP kayak P3 866MHz with PXE v2.20
> vendor : HP
> Bios: IA.11.08FR
> PXELINUX doesn't work with this one

What I remember from previous BIOS problems on this MailingList
is the tool "dmidecode" that reveals BIOS details.

Make an E-mail with the output of dmidecode _for each_ computer.
Use a subject line that contains the name of the BIOS version.

After the posting do an upgrade of the BIOS.
(Yes, I assume there are newer BIOS versions available for those boards
and I known that I might be wrong about that assumption.)

Cheers
Geert Stappers