[syslinux] keeppxe+memdisk+FreeDOS example?

Bernd Blaauw bblaauw at home.nl
Fri Sep 21 05:21:56 PDT 2007

Ferenc Wagner schreef:
> Thanks for the pointer.  It will take some time to evaluate.  I'm
> starting to see that it's much more complicated than I expected.  And
> the memory hit makes it somewhat of questionnable usefulness...

My apologies if the post was already answered (catching up from
holiday). the PXElinux KEEPPXE option keeps both the PXE and UNDI parts
in memory instead of only the UNDI part. the "MS Client " network stack
for DOS (which is intended to give access to NT4/2000/XP SMB-shares) can
be downloaded from Microsoft ftp servers as 2 disks (including
PROTMAN.DOS). Sites like http://www.netbootdisk.com/ and www.nu2.nu and
www.veder.com might be able to give you more of a hint.

It seems strange, but the best way to get things working initially is to
get the DOS drivers for your specific network card working, rather than
the universal ones.  Later on  you can make the bootdisk more generic by
switching to UNDIS3C driver.  Eric Auer from the FreeDOS  project has
some tools on his website, mainly to get arguments from the syslinux
commandline, to see if KEEPPXE is present for example. It can be found
at http://www.coli.uni-saarland.de/~eric/stuff/soft/

Anyway, I don't know if someone will ever contribute a 'unload PXE stack
but keep UNDI stack' implementation/patch to PXElinux.
I'm testing PXE booting so far with EmBoot's universal packet driver,
but the registered download they sent is incomplete and email support
seems to be absent so far, maybe requiring forum access for support. I
simply dont like the entire MS client software (copyrights, distribution
etc), so sticking to PXE booting + (universal) packet driver + Wget to
do what I want.

Goodluck with your netboot project,

Bernd