[syslinux] help I need an odd feature does syslinux have it

Ryan McDowell RMMcDowell at comcast.net
Sat Sep 29 23:37:01 PDT 2007

Hello everyone

I need a very odd feature. I'm working on a project to wipe 12
harddrives at a time. The pci cards I bought for more ide channels are
super cheap. They use the vt6410 via chip. In linux there is support to
use this chip as a regular ide controller. Here's the problem, these
card have no bios code of there own on the pci. You can either load the
chips rom file thru the computers bios or load it under your os. I know
how to load firmware under linux for wireless cards but no luck on
finding a way to do this for my pci card. Anyway...I tried adding the
rom to the bios. It would have work if there was enough space left in
the bios compressed image. I didn't see anything that could be stripped
out to allow me the extra space...bummer. Here's the question. I'm
already using syslinux/isolinux to boot my os is there a .c32 or
whatever that would allow me to push the pci's firmware before executing
my linux kernel? Is this even possible? After googling around all I
found for help was based on fixing this through bios rom add ons. I hope
someone has an idea. I have 10 of these cards and I'd prefer not to
waste them. Thanks for any help anyone might have for me.

Ryan Mc.