[syslinux] SDI loading patch

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Apr 1 22:03:58 PDT 2008

Andrew Stuart wrote:

> I will attempt to try this tomorrow.
>
> Going off topic.. If it is not to much trouble, can you take a look at
> http://phaq.phunsites.net/2007/02/14/compiling-pxelinux-and-memdisk-on-freebsd
> and see if you can work it into future versions? The relevant part is
> below.
>
> #tar -xjpvf syslinux-3.36.tar.bz2
> #cd syslinux-3.36
> #find . -type f -exec grep -le ‘elf_i386′ {} \; | xargs perl -i -p -e
> ’s/elf_i386/elf_i386_fbsd/g;’

The best would be if the FreeBSD people would compile in standard ELF
support into their binutils (I doubt it'd make it any bigger.)  The
right way to do this is to move this into a Makefile variable which can
be overridden (i.e. something like LD_386 = -m elf_i386).

The current git tree (post-3.62) is likely to work better, since I have
made some Makefile cleanups.

> I have confirmed this working with 3.62 (excluding syslinux which has a
> compile error, if interested in adding FreeBSD support, I will report
> the issue separately)

Which portion of syslinux?  The "mtools" version should work; the "unix"
version (which is really "linux" nowadays) should not, and I wouldn't
expect extlinux to readily compile either.

A FreeBSD patch would definitely be accepted, I don't expect I'll have
time to work on that myself.