[syslinux] alternate tftp server

jason bishop jason.bishop at clustercorp.com
Tue Apr 1 23:17:19 PDT 2008

i just discovered the alternate ftp server syntax for pxelinux in the
changelog today.  this interests me as I would like to use pxelinux on
a linux box to give a config file which tells pxelinux to fetch the
windows 2003 bootloader program (actually startrom.n12 from windows
2003) from the windows box.

IE:
label windows
   kernel 192.168.1.2::startrom.0

since i can watch the fetching of the pxelinux config file on the
linux box (with a named pipe) i know exactly when the windows install
happens and therefore i can twiddle the pxelinux config to localboot 0
after the windows install starts.  good so far.

now for my question:
i know the windows install works fine via pxelinux when the next-
server dhcp option lists windows box and my pxelinux config file lists
kernel startrom.0.

i assume windows startrom is looking at next-server dhcp option to
know where to tftp ntldr.  is this true? if so, will the
192.168.1.2::startrom.0 syntax work?  i went looking through the code
for the alternate tftp server syntax and i don't see anywhere where
the bootp.sip is re-written with the alternate server ip.  would this
have to happen for the windows startrom bootloader to know where to
tftp ntldr from?

thanks everybody

jason