[syslinux] alternate tftp server

Jacob Alifrangis jalifrangis at authenticlick.net
Wed Apr 2 10:08:49 PDT 2008

Startrom is actually getting this information from the BINLSVC service or
"Boot Information Negotiation Layer" this service broadcasts a packet to
255.255.255.255 or to $ipaddress, I'm not sure. What is definite is that the
packet contains the location of the boot loader wdsnbp.com or an equivalent
pxe code file, determined by the architecture that is detected by
startrom.com, this is done by issuing an assembler instruction that detects
64bit mode.

When this packet is received, startrom parses it and tftps the appropriate
file and passes it a parameter set.

This file then uses a combination of the pxe stack information and the binl
packet to load the RIS Menus.

If you can trap this packet activity, you can get the packet and find where
the appropriate information exists and how to parse it.

This is different for RIS and WDS(2K3 SP2+).

This is a major hurdle to getting pxelinux to work properly with ris, the
instructions that I have written previously in this list work, but are a
quirks with that method in that it is a hack.

Decoding and sing this packet in a c32 module would be the best way to make
this work.