[syslinux] alternate tftp server

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 2 12:28:56 PDT 2008

--On Wednesday, April 02, 2008 11:50:55 AM -0700 "H. Peter Anvin"
<hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
>> Startrom is actually getting this information from the BINLSVC service or
>> "Boot Information Negotiation Layer" this service broadcasts a packet to
>> 255.255.255.255 or to $ipaddress, I'm not sure. What is definite is that
>> the packet contains the location of the boot loader wdsnbp.com or an
>> equivalent pxe code file, determined by the architecture that is
>> detected by startrom.com, this is done by issuing an assembler
>> instruction that detects 64bit mode.
>
> BINL is just butchered DHCP.
>
> Supposedly, one can edit the DHCP/BINL packets inside the PXE stack, but
> it is known not to work for some PXE stacks.  I'm considering writing a
> COM32 module to do this editing and then chainload a PXE module.

I did this as a comboot module a while back; we use it to support booting
RIS from pxelinux, as well as booting a new pxelinux with a different
configuration directory (very convenient for using OS installer images
as-is).  As the source is only 10K, I've attached it.

-- Jeff