[syslinux] alternate tftp server

jason bishop jason.bishop at clustercorp.com
Wed Apr 2 16:42:31 PDT 2008

i've been digesting this scenario to see if i setup things so this
binlsvc thing will work.  thank you for the explanation, i've been
reading through the microsoft docs but they tend to gloss over things
at this level.

On Apr 2, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Jacob Alifrangis wrote:

> Startrom is actually getting this information from the BINLSVC
> service or
> "Boot Information Negotiation Layer" this service broadcasts a
> packet to
> 255.255.255.255 or to $ipaddress, I'm not sure. What is definite is
> that the
> packet contains the location of the boot loader wdsnbp.com or an
> equivalent
> pxe code file, determined by the architecture that is detected by
> startrom.com, this is done by issuing an assembler instruction that
> detects
> 64bit mode.
>
> When this packet is received, startrom parses it and tftps the
> appropriate
> file and passes it a parameter set.

i guess i could setup things so this might work, but i've just given
the steering wheel to the windows box.  i think in this particular
case i would prefer if pxelinux was steering.

> This is a major hurdle to getting pxelinux to work properly with
> ris, the
> instructions that I have written previously in this list work, but
> are a
> quirks with that method in that it is a hack.

ahhh... let me do some more reading through the archives.  thank you
for pointing out.

jason