[syslinux] MEMDISK not working on Thinkpads

Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com
Tue Apr 22 08:37:34 PDT 2008

Hello Ferenc,

I tried IBM Feature Tool 2.09 on a Thinkpad T43 (model 1871-w4a)  via PXE.
No problems at all.

I used the Image from
http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#FeatureTool

The corresponing lines in my pxelinux configfile looks like:

LABEL ftool
   MENU LABEL IBM Feature Tool 2.09
   kernel [path to memdisk from tftp root]/memdisk
   append initrd=[path to bootimage]/ftool209.img

I didn't made any changes to the bootfile except renaming it from
ftool_209_install.IMG to ftool209.img.

Peter Leenders

             Ferenc Wagner
             <wferi at niif.hu>
             syslinux-bounces@         For discussion of SYSLINUX and
             zytor.com                 tftp-hpa <syslinux at zytor.com>
                                                                        cc

             22.04.2008 14:41                                      Subject
                                       Re: [syslinux] MEMDISK not working
                                       on Thinkpads
             Please respond to
             For discussion of
               SYSLINUX and
                 tftp-hpa
             <syslinux at zytor.c
                    om>

Peter.Leenders at computacenter.com writes:

> we use quite often memdisk to boot DOS from floppy images via PXE on
> IBM/lenovo Thinkpads. We have no trouble with thinkpad at all and we use
> lot of different thinkpad modells (mostly newer ones) but also some older
> modells.
>
> Are you shure that nothing is wrong with your Image. If you boot DOS via
> PXE and you use himem make shure you have the /testmem:off switch set in
> the config.sys.
> What is the OS you're booting via memdisk? If you use ME make you use
> bigraw in your SYSlinux/PXELINUX/ISOLINUX-configfile when invoking
memdisk.

See http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2007-December/009291.html for
example.  But others also had similar problems.  If you could try
booting the same images on your models, I would be interested to hear
the results.  I routinely use memdisk to boot other machines, and most
of the time it indeed works perfectly well.
Feri.

Unsubscribe or set options at: