[syslinux] extlinux: missing text on serial output

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat Apr 26 11:07:44 PDT 2008

Ferenc Wagner wrote:

> EXTLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 EBIOS Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
> Select 'linux' or 'xen'.
> Automatically booting 'xen' in 10 seconds.
> boot:
>
> Which is perfectly fine, but I'm deprived of the 'say' output when
> looking at the serial console (lo', EBIOS is also missing!  And a CR
> after the multiboot copyright string!)
>
> EXTLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10  Copyright (C) 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin
>

> boot:
> COM32 Multiboot loader v0.2.  Copyright (C) 2005-2006 Tim Deegan.
>                                                                  Kernel: /xen-3.2-1-i386.gz com2=auto,
>
> Can somebody confirm that it's a bug?

It's easy enough to see how the EBIOS would be missing - the banner is
printed on the screen before the config file is written, so it's issued
separately for the serial console.  The CR from the multiboot module is
also reasonably easy to explain (it's a C environment, and at some point
\n -> \r\n).  However, "say" not outputting on the serial console is
weird and serious.  I will look into it.