[syslinux] Disable clear screen

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Apr 28 09:10:23 PDT 2008

Op 28-04-2008 om 16:59 schreef Dag Wieers:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to disable the clear screen when loading syslinux ?
>
> Since the IBM BIOS on xSeries systems shows the MAC address of the onboard
> NICs, I would like to have them on screen when people do a kickstart
> fro mthe prompt using eg: ksdevice=<MAC address>
>
> I personally think that the clear screen is unwanted in most cases since
> people can add that to the boot message (ctrl-L) if they need it. If all
> the drivers in POST would do a clear screen, it would be very
> discomforting and even if syslinux is an exception (being the last one in
> the row) removing vital messages just before could lead to undetected
> problems.

I wonder if the "clear screen" in syslinux is a "clear screen".

The regular "clear screen" keeps video mode, it just wipes text.

The syslinux "clear screen" could be video mode switch to setup the video
hardware for further usage, with side effect that previous information
on the screen is wiped.

Cheers
Geert Stappers
neither a fan of clear screen