[syslinux] "sector read error" with Syslinux

Krista0B kookookacheW at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 3 22:02:17 PDT 2008

Hi, I've seen that a few others have had this error message, but saw no
"resolved" discussions about it so I'm still trying to get Syslinux to work.
I followed the directions (twice) at
en.opensuse.org/Installation_without_CD#Creating_a_bootable_USB_Stick_versio
n_of_mini.iso_entirely_from_Windows

I also tried WinImage (not only 7-zip) & had the same troubles, so the
troubles seem to be related to syslinux not 7-zip.  I also tried a Mandriva
IMG file instead of SuSE's ISO, got the same error.

I get the "read sector error" after entering "syslinux -ma e:".  I checked
the Syslinux incompatible-hardware-list, etc., and am coming up blank.  I
also did a "thorough" scandisk to make sure it wasn't telling me there's
some physical error on the boot sector or somesuch :-) but the drive is
perfect.

Any ideas?  (I'm not sure what the "boot sector error" even means.)  Or is
there perhaps an alternative to syslinux so that I can test whether this is
even a problem specific to Syslinux?  Thanks for your time to read this.