[syslinux] About "MENU TITLE" and possible hotkey handling

Giulio Orsero giulioo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 02:33:23 PDT 2008

3.71, using isolinux and simple menu system menu.c32

To avoid having many different menu config files (one for each submenu) I'm
trying switching from the once required syntax
====
MENU LABEL > ^Firmware/BIOS
        KERNEL menu.c32
        APPEND menufw.cfg
====
====
MENU BEGIN
	MENU TITLE ^Firmware/BIOS

	<stuff that was inside menufw.cfg>
MENU END
====

However, it's not clear to me how the "^F" hotkey is handled, if it is at
all.

Reading doc/menu.txt it would seem hotkey is only handled in "MENU LABEL";
however, when I use the above syntax the "^"char is stripped from the string
when displayed in the main menu (submenu title entry in main menu screen),
where I see
	Firmware/BIOS   (^ stripped, but no hotkey available)
while it's printed in the title of the submenu screen, where I see
	^Firmware/BIOS

The stripping of the "^" char makes my wonder whether there's a way, maybe
undocumented, to use hotkey in "MENU TITLE" too; is there a way?

Thanks
giulioo at pobox.com