[syslinux] "sector read error" with Syslinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Aug 4 19:22:24 PDT 2008

Krista0B wrote:

> I get the "read sector error" after entering "syslinux -ma e:".  I checked
> the Syslinux incompatible-hardware-list, etc., and am coming up blank.  I
> also did a "thorough" scandisk to make sure it wasn't telling me there's
> some physical error on the boot sector or somesuch :-) but the drive is
> perfect.

This means that Syslinux requested reading your USB disk, but got an
error back from Windows.  Without more information, that's all I can
tell you at this point.

There are some USB sticks which have "magic" MBRs, and some others which
have 1024-byte sectors; both are rare but existent.

Either way, please give as much information as you can (versions of
Windows, what *exact* steps you took from the beginning, etc.) and we
might be able to figure something out.