[syslinux] "sector read error" with Syslinux

Krista0B kookookacheW at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 5 03:41:25 PDT 2008

Thanks for your help...

I tried versions 3.71 and 3.63.
My USB is OCZ Diesel, 8GB, FAT32 (just in case you keep a list of the USB's
with the "magic" MBR's...).
Win98 (My more recent Linux PC had a hardware failure but I can access a
friend's WinXP or Vista, and report results on the more modern Windows back
to you if it helps.)

Did a checksum on an ISO file as it was downloaded to E: (USB drive).
Extracted all the files within the ISO to E:  Then, as instructed by the ISO
distributor, moved the files in the "loader" folder to the root directory &
of those files, I renamed isolinux.cfg to SYSLINUX.CFG, & deleted
isolinux.bin.
Then unzipped syslinux.zip from www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux