[syslinux] Buggy bios, boot of dos image hangs with syslinux, but not with isolinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Aug 6 12:51:38 PDT 2008

Zipf Christian wrote:

> I tried Version 3.71, 3.62, 3.55. Unfortunately it is the same behavior on all of them. But it is only memdisk that is affected by this. If I boot a mini linux distro like DSL or SLAX this works just fine from the usb stick. But than again the memdisk code works if booted from a cd with isolinux. Mighty strange.

It's actually not all that strange, since it ends up having different
code paths through the BIOS.  Odds are pretty good it is your USB BIOS
which is at fault -- it seems to be one of the really poor quality
control points of BIOSes these days.

In fact, it would be really helpful if you posted the debugging output
from 3.71 (it adds a few new pieces of information that wasn't there in
the previous version) from a working (CD-ROM) and a non-working (USB)
session.