[syslinux] Selecting keyboard mappings in syslinux

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Aug 7 08:21:32 PDT 2008

Hi,

Having the unfortunate disadvantage to live in a country that uses the
Belgian keyboard (azerty, much like French keyboards) and being in a
corporate merge with Germany (qwertz) causes a problem to work with a
single syslinux-based ISO image.

Since it is almost impossible to type IP-addresses or URLs in syslinux
with an azerty-keyboard that is set to use US-layout, we need to have the
possibility to at least select Belgian keyboard.

But the German colleagues require the German keyboard mappings, or at
least US-layout. So we are basicly looking for a way to reload the
keyboard in syslinux. By means of a menu entry or keyboard shortcut.

Otherwise we have to create an ISO image that is identical except for the
keyboard mapping.

Any solutions I have missed ? :-)

PS A more generic solution where people can select the keyboard and this
selection is appended to the boot-options would be very useful for Live
CDs, installers and rescue images as well.