[syslinux] Dynamic Linker

Loginov Alexander aloginov at asmpt.com
Thu Aug 14 05:22:59 PDT 2008

Hello,

I am using Syslinux as a bootloader for a PC-based embedded system. I
need to load my ELF applications to the top of the available physical
memory. By the way, they have no any relations to klibc or Syslinux
since they are compiled with a special embedded C-library. Since
different PCs may have a different amount of installed RAM, I may need
to load those ELF files to different locations. That is why I need
ELFLINK  module that helps to relocate my code.

The problem is that after those ELF programs are loaded, I need to erase
the bottom RAM for some purposes. At the same time, the functionality of
those ELF programs must still be preserved.

So the algorithm is like the following:

1) Syslinux boots
2) The elflink module loads my ELF programs to the top of the available
physical memory
3) The control is passed to the enry point of one of those ELF programs
4) That program will initialize the environment erasing Syslinix and
elflink out of the memory
5) After initializing that program will continue to do some processing
serving the embedded system

Please let me if it is possible to achieve the above results with
Sislinux and elflink  module.

Best regards,
Alex

P.S. Actually what I need is already provided by the well-known U-Boot
bootloader. Unfortunately, that bootloader doesn't have a port to PCs...