[syslinux] Dynamic Linker

Stefan Bucur stefanb at zytor.com
Thu Aug 14 05:29:31 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:20 PM, Loginov Alexander <aloginov at asmpt.com> wrote:

> So the algorithm is like the following:
>
> 1) Syslinux boots
> 2) Your elflink module loads my ELF programs to the top of the available
> physical memory
> 3) The control is passed to the enry point of one of those ELF programs
> 4) That program will initialize the environment erasing Syslinix and
> elflink out of the memory
> 5) After initializing that program will continue to do some processing
> serving the embedded system
>
> Please let me if it is possible to achieve the above results with
> Sislinux and your module.

Well, this looks like you want to use the module system as a boot
loader. This is a nice use case :) It's like instead of loading and
booting a kernel image, you load and boot an ELF module. In this case,
if you are absolutely sure that no symbol is referenced from the root
COM32 module (you can see that by issuing a 'readelf -s' command on
your modules and inspecting the dynamic symbol table), and your module
also gains control of the system (including interrupts - COM32 also
registers an stub interrupt table that triggers the BIOS handlers),
you can discard SYSLINUX code without problems. In other words, if
your module is capable of implementing basic operating system work by
itself, SYSLINUX is not required.

Please let me know if there are any problems with that :)

Cheers,
Stefan Bucur