[syslinux] pxelinux server's IP address

Tobias Abt syslinux at tabt.de
Thu Aug 14 07:19:21 PDT 2008

Hello Tomas!

Tomas M schrieb:
> Hello,
> I am experimenting with pxelinux.
>
> My setup is currently working.
> My network card receives IP address from DHCP server, and then it downloads pxelinux.0 and executes it.
> PXElinux loads its config file ('pxelinux.cfg/default') and is able to download vmlinuz and initrd.gz from TFTP server, and execute vmlinuz.
>
> Now the question:
> is there any way to pass server's IP address as a commandline argument to vmlinuz? Like if I type it to 'append' section in config file.
>
> I would like to see /proc/cmdline after the vmlinuz boots and I'd like to be able to grep servers IP address from there.
>
> Is there any way ?

Just add an IPAPPEND line to your config file, like this:

   LABEL linux
     KERNEL vmlinuz
     APPEND root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=/srv/ceptix.neu vga=785 initrd=initrd
     IPAPPEND 1

This adds a ip=... command parameter like described in the linux
documentation file:
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/filesystems/nfsroot.txt

--
Bye,
   Tobias