[syslinux] Problems with PXE Booting

Bernd-Christoph Krautmann bernd.christoph at krautmann.net
Mon Aug 18 06:44:33 PDT 2008

Hi friends,

I am new to this list and have some questions about PXE Booting, because its
not working well.

My Situation:

I was preparing my Server like described on
http://unattended.sourceforge.net

And everything was working well, this means I was able to install Windows XP
via PXE onto my clients.

But now, I thought, It would be really a great Idea to make my clients able
to start Partition Magic over the Net via PXE.

Because of this Idea, I first tried to make a bootable network floppy, that
connects me to my Server Share.

I made this Bootfloppy with the software "BackMagic Netboot" and everything
was working, this means my client was able to boot with this floppy and to
connect to the server share.

No I was reading some articles about PXE and made a floppy Image of this
boot floppy disc.

But when I now start my client in PXE Mode and tell him the name of the
image it starts but the message disappears:

MEMDISK 3.08 2005-05-19 Copyright 2001-2005 H. Peter Anvin

E820:

E820:

E820:

E820:                                         Here are lots of Hex numbers

E820:

E820:

E820:

E820:

E820:

Ramdisk at 0x1fe73000, length 0x00168000

Command line: initrd=unattended/b44.imz BOOT_IMAGE=unattended/memdisk

Disk is floppy, 1440 K, C/H/S = 80/2/18

Total size needed = 1977 bytes, allocating 2K

Old dos memory at 0x9f800 (map says 0x9fc00), loading at 0x9f000

1588: 0xffff   15E801: 0x3c00 0x1ee7

INT 13 08: Success, count = 1, BPT = f000:79f9

Old: int13 = f00030e4   int15= f000f859

New: int 13=9f000008 int15=9f000286

Starting..

And here my client hangs although the floppy disc was working, but the image
is always ending with this message.

Is there anybody who could help me in this matter ?

If I need a hard disk image how do I do this in Windows XP ?

Thanks in advance

Bernd