[syslinux] Solaris 10 installation via PXELinux

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Aug 19 16:46:37 PDT 2008

Vasily Tarasov wrote:
> Thank you for the answer. I will try to get this additional information.
> However if you can provide additional hints (or appropriate link) how to
> do it - I'll appreciate it.

The easiest is probably to use Qemu and gdb.

1. Find out the start address (entrypoint) of your kernel image.  This
can be determined by looking at the Multiboot and/or ELF headers of the
kernel image.

The Multiboot header is described in:

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html#OS-image-format

[Yup, it's in the Grub manual.  The Multiboot "standard" is really "GNU
Hurd format".]

The ELF header is described in a number of places, including:

http://www.caldera.com/developers/gabi/1998-04-29/ch4.eheader.html

2. Start qemu with the "-S -s" options.

3. Run gdb as follows:

    gdb
    target remote localhost:1234
    br *0xXXXXXXXX         # kernel entry point

If everything works out right, it should stop at the entry point to the
kernel.  At this point, you can look at the data structure pointed to by
the ebx register (p/x $ebx):

http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/multiboot/multiboot.html#Boot-information-format