[syslinux] failed when boot the kernel image on the hard disk from syslinux on a floppy

Hu Jia Yi jyhu at asmpt.com
Wed Aug 20 23:46:44 PDT 2008

After formatting a floppy to MSDOS format and using  syslinux /dev/fd0,
I successfully installed ldlinux.sys to the root directory of the
floppy.

Then I created a syslinux.cfg  under the root directtory of this floppy
to load the linux kernel in my first hard disk, 3rd partition, boot
folder. The file system

of this partition is ext3. The floppy has a FAT file system. This config
file is listed below.

When I restarted PC and booted from this floppy , it failed with a
message

"Could not find kernel image: /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic"

Did I make a wrong configuration? I am sure the names of linux kernel
and initrd are correct.

PROMPT 0

TIMEOUT 30

DEFAULT linux

LABEL linux

SAY Now booting the kernel from SYSLINUX...

KERNEL /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic

APPEND root=/dev/sda3 initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic

Best regards,

Hu Jia Yi

Ext: 20430

Tel: 65-67510430