[syslinux] pxelinux stopped working

Tomas M tomas at slax.org
Thu Aug 21 11:36:02 PDT 2008

>> Syslog on the server shows a strange message from dnsmasq:
>> TFTP error 0 TFTP Aborted received from 172.16.73.122
>> FTFP failed sending /boot/pxelinux.cfg/pxelinux.0 to 172.16.73.122
>>
> This suggest you set on dnsmasq, tftp-root=/boot/
> and it does not look to match how files are set on the tftp server as you say
> it's on /pxelinux.cfg/

Yes I'm using tftp-root=/boot/
I wrote my paths relative to the /boot/ in my previous email.
So correct (full) paths are:
/boot/pxelinux.cfg/default
/boot/pxelinux.cfg/pxelinux.0

> Set tftp-root=/var/lib/tftpboot and move pxelinux.cfg directory inside
> /var/lib/tftpboot and restart dnsmasq.

I believe this won't help as you would only use a different root.

One more thing I noticed today is that if I download the 'default' file from TFTP server using 'ftfp' utility from HPA, it's correct, but if I download pxelinux.cfg/pxelinux.0 using the same utility, it has some bytes different, and it is 5 bytes shorter (in filesize). Isn't that odd? Perhaps default tftp settings are set to use some different 'mode' to translate the characters? Um that is strange :)

By the way, I'm testing it in vmware (two virtual machines).

Tomas M