[syslinux] failed when boot the kernel image on the hard disk from syslinux on a floppy

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 21 16:25:29 PDT 2008

Vance Turner wrote:
> Peter, from how I have been playing with the iSCSi initiators, the OS
> doesn't know that it is iSCSI. The hardware layer is presenting the
> iSCSI device just as if it is a local device.  Windows thinks that it is
> just s scsi disk internal. Now if you use windows software for the iSCSI
> then yes you would have that problem, but configuring the iSCSI on iSCSI
> adapters, or virtual environments removes the OS from the equation.

What you're talking about is iSCSI in hardware, and there, you're right
to some degree (you still need a driver for your iSCSI hardware, of course.)

> What I am thinking is more of what xVM and VMWARE do for the OS install, and
> working something like that into PXELINUX. xVM is open source now.

You can't "work something like that into PXELINUX".  PXELINUX is a boot
loader, not a virtualizer.  A completely different degree of complexity.

You might be able to boot your virtual environment via PXELINUX, but
that's like saying your shoes include a car because you can use the
shoes to walk out to where you parked the car.

KVM, VirtualBox (xVM), VMware etc. are excellent pieces of technology,
but they're about as far from boot loaders as you can get.