[syslinux] failed when boot the kernel image on the harddisk from syslinux on a floppy

Hu Jia Yi jyhu at asmpt.com
Thu Aug 21 19:26:42 PDT 2008

Thanks for responses.

I use GRUB as my bootloader in my hard disk now. I have a Windows in
sda1, Ubuntu in sda3.
If I want to install extlinux to boot Ubuntu, should I follow the steps
below?
1. in Ubuntu, go to extlinux folder, run command
    ./extlinux --install /boot
2. create an extlinux.conf in/boot
3. cd ../mbr
4. cat mbr.bin > /dev/sda (or use dd if=mbr.bin of=/dev/sda bs=404
count=1)
5. restart PC.

The extlinux.txt says I need make the syslinux partition active. I know
Windows partition needs activation. Is it necessary to turn an ext2/ext3
partition to active, too? If it is, how?

Best regards,
Hu Jia Yi
Ext: 20430
Tel: 65-67510430