[syslinux] Best method for booting logical partions via syslinux...

Ferenc Wagner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Aug 29 14:52:14 PDT 2008

Tech Digger <techdiggr at yahoo.com> writes:

> The problem with placing 'all' of the extracted Live CD files in one
> location is...
> some folders/files have the same names from different Live CDs.

Yes.  And they would create a mess anyway, so I put them under
separate directories.

> I felt if each partition housed it's own Live CD, then there would
> be no need to hack any initrd script or other, and would ease in
> adding/subtracting new distros.

Well, if adding/subtracting partitions is easy, then more power to you.
My method indeed requires some labour investment, but the distros I
encountered (Musix and Finnix) had boot parameters to override their
boot directory so butchering initrds wasn't necessary in the end.

> The chain.c32 approach didn't work and the documentation is not as
> robust as I feel comfortable.

I never tried, but syslinux in general is very well maintained, so
speak up if something doesn't work as advertised.  Enclosing a small
image demonstrating the problem helps tremendously.
Feri.