[syslinux] bootsplash: splash=silent always boots as splash=verbose

Ayvaz, James James.Ayvaz at hp.com
Tue Dec 2 22:35:22 PST 2008

Hi there,
  I am trying to migrate from using syslinux with the gfxboot patch to using vesamenu.c32 which is a much simpler solution for my needs.  The only problem I am having is that when I attempt to use the "splash=silent" kernel parameter it always boots as though I had entered "splash=verbose".  By which I mean that the vga mode is correct, and the verbose graphics are displayed along with the kernel messages.  I am unable to get it to boot to the splash screen without the kernel messages.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong?  Thanks for the help.

Here is my entry from isolinux.cfg

label default
  kernel vmlinuz
  append initrd=initrd.img rw root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=123788 init=/bin/init ide=nodma ide=noraid pnpbios=off vga=788 splash=silent