[syslinux] COMBOOT API: Add calls for directory functions; Implement for FAT

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Fri Dec 5 12:25:05 PST 2008

On Thursday, December 4, 2008, 23:37:55, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> It doesn't, and -- this is the really sucky part -- in general it really
> can't.  However, we can probably hack up something that is Good
> Enough[TM], basically by inverting the first field mapping in the
> codepage array and returning '?' or some such for anything we don't
> recognize -- I think there is actually a particular character specced in
> the FAT specification (probably '?', but it might be '_').

IIRC, Win9x used _ when it encountered filenames with characters
outside the active codepage (and wouldn't let you access these files,
unless you "repaired" the volume with scandisk, which destroyed the
filenames).

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

You cannot have a baby in one month by getting nine women pregnant.
       -- Frisch's Law