[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.71-pre15: release candidate

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Fri Dec 5 12:45:33 PST 2008

Михаил wrote:
>> Let me guess... you have a "serial" statement in your configuration file?
>>
> That's wright, there is following string in file syslinux.cfg:
> SERIAL 0
> How it can slow down menu navigation?

Because the menu is written both on the screen and on the serial port.
When the baud rate was omitted as in your case, the serial statement
didn't work right in versions before 3.71-pre15, which is why you're not
seeing a problem.

The use of a default baud rate is beneficial to users of virtual
environments and of serial port BIOSes.  However, some BIOSes configure
an insanely slow baud rate by default, which ends up with the effect you
describe.

Either remove the serial statement if you don't need it, or configure
the baud rate explicitly if you do need it.