[syslinux] COMBOOT API: Add calls for directory functions; Implement for FAT

Jernej Simončič jernej.listsonly at ena.si
Fri Dec 5 13:29:22 PST 2008

On Friday, December 5, 2008, 21:47:47, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Right, of course... '?' is an illegal filename character in Windoze.

'?' would probably make more sense, since the error message was a bit
misleading, and when just a single file was underscored this way, it
wasn't immediately obvious what was the problem.

> There is a third option, which might be better, actually: if the
> filename contains a character we can't make out, return the shortname
> for that file.  The shortname will always be representable.

The short filenames can still contain high ASCII characters, though
they're limited to the ANSI codepage on the system (at least on
Windows - I never tried how Linux handles this). Interestingly, using
short filenames is also the only way to access files with Unicode
filenames on NT when running legacy applications.

--
< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >

The speaker with the most monotonous voice speaks after the big meal.
       -- Conference Principle