[syslinux] PXELINUX

Sean Lv jie.lv.mvp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 04:05:35 PST 2008

Hi hpa

            I am using Syslinux 3.72, all module and core was extracted from
version 3.72. And I am sure the file was download from official web site.
(Also, I have tested Syslinux 3.71 with same error)

            I can nearly dare say Syslinux 3.72 have compatibility issue
with Realtek 8111B/C/D NIC, at least if syslinux loads the menu modules,
both menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32.

            As the description in my pervious mail, I can boot to Images
successfully with CLI interface, such as memdisk initrd=win98.img, but it
did not work if I boot Images via menu.c32 and vesamenu.c32 interface.  I
could be sure that the DEFAULT file is right, because I can boot any Images
via Menu interface on VMware machine.

            These days, I tested my PXE system on different hardware
platform, include Gigabyte G33, EG43M, and ASUS M3A78-EMH. I found that the
PXELINUX with Menu module loaded were all hanged if the motherboard has
built-in Realtek 8111B/C/D NIC. Fortunately,   I found a new released BIOS
version F6 for Gigabyte EG43M and I upgraded the BIOS, then it works.
Because when I completed the upgrade, I found the PXE boot ROM from version
v2.09 (071017) upgrade to v2.21(080908).   However, for G33 MB, I am not so
fortunate, even I upgraded the newest beta BIOS, the PXE ROM version could
reach v2.06(070425)  as the most updated. And this version did not work well
with syslinux 3.72.     I believe most of motherboard with built-in Realtek
8111B/C/D NIC are using 2.06 around version as PXE boot ROM.

            Do you have any idea?  It's appreciated if you could help on
this.  I am managing about 2000 client PCs, and 30% of these have RTL
8111B/C/D NIC, which have compatibility issue with syslinux 3.72. I really
do not want upgrade PXE ROM for all these PC, actually, for some models, I
could find the newer version of PXE BOOT ROM.