[syslinux] PXELINUX

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Dec 15 18:17:38 PST 2008

Sean Lv wrote:

>             Do you have any idea?  It's appreciated if you could help on
> this.  I am managing about 2000 client PCs, and 30% of these have RTL
> 8111B/C/D NIC, which have compatibility issue with syslinux 3.72. I really
> do not want upgrade PXE ROM for all these PC, actually, for some models, I
> could find the newer version of PXE BOOT ROM.

I have certainly gotten a large number of reports about this particular
PXE stack and motherboard combo.  This kind of problem usually are
caused by the PXE stack writing to memory it does not own (that is
particularly so with the "works with CLI, but not with menu.")  That
isn't the only possibility, but is certainly the strongest.

If there is a previous version which works, it would be highly useful to
narrow down the exact point of regression.  If there isn't, it is
harder, of course.