[syslinux] Help still needed?

Kevin Landreth crackerjackmack at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 21:02:21 PST 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:46 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:

> Pierre-Alexandre Meyer wrote:
> > Good evening hpa,
> >
> > I just randomly came across your message from Feb 17, 2008:
> >
> >    http://syslinux.zytor.com/archives/2008-February/009455.html
> >
> > Are you still looking for help to maintain syslinux?
> > If so, do you have a public bug tracker (bugzilla)?
> >

> Hi there,
>
> Help is *really* always welcome, although I have been doing a lot more
> work myself on the simple menu system more recently.  However, there are
> a bunch of projects going on now - gfxboot as a module, Lua scripting
> support and much more.  The complex menu system is currently totally
> unmaintained, although I don't know how big its userbase is.
>
> As I just myself started a new job (I am now working for Intel) it is
> hard for me to know what I'm going to be spending time on in the
> near-to-mid future but there will definitely be things to do.
>
> We don't have a bugzilla (it has, however, been frequently requested,
> and probably needs to happen sooner rather than later), but there is
> some project ideas etc on the wiki.
>
>        -hpa

The only reason I can see that a bugzilla would be handy is for tracking
individual issues and using it as a reference point on the wiki.  Many issue
come up on one of at least two IRC channels and sometimes the issues are
addressed there instead of on the mailing list or wiki.  Using bugzilla
would be handy just so the community can track changes/merges on the wiki's
changelog.

For example, where in the world did this request come from and what was the
justification (retorical)
"Try to avoid memory-snooping attacks on passwords. Note that if someone has
root on the box, they generally don't need to compromise the boot loader..."

HPA obviously got enough justificaiton to include but sometimes it would
just be nice to know a year or so from now why it was added (and searching
the archives isn't always as fruitful, espically if it was on IRC).

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin Landreth, RHCE