[syslinux] Having problem with menu.c32 on serial console

John Rouillard rouilj at renesys.com
Wed Dec 17 14:23:38 PST 2008

Hi all:

I am running pxelinux 3.72 with the corresponding menu.c32.
I am setting up console access via:

  serial 0 38400
  console 0

The rest of the config file entries should be safe enough:

  display pxelinux.cfg/helpfile
  say .       Type any key for manual boot. <F1> or <Ctrl-F> 1 for help
  F1 pxelinux.cfg/helpfile

then the usual MENU/label commands.

When I use the same config file without the two serial settings, it
works fine (on VGA).

When I try to use it with the serial settings all I see is the one
character that draws the top left corner of the menu against a blue
background and that's it. Nothing I type seems to have any effect. ESC
doesn't do anything either.

I am using rxvt (over an ssh session to a console server) or teraterm
in vt100 mode (with a null modem cable) to display the console. In
both cases the non-menu version of the config file works fine.

Has anybody seen a similar issue? Any known mistakes I am making to
cause this? Any workarounds?

Thanks.

--
				-- rouilj