[syslinux] isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Wed Feb 13 02:57:29 PST 2008

Hi,

recent isolinux versions work fine with current linux kernels on
current hardware. But on older hardware there isn't a bootsplash
visible at all - like if there isn't a CD in the tray. :(

Sadly the older isolinux versions don't work with current kernels
(giving me an empty /proc/cmdline for example when using kernel
2.6.23), otherwise I'd just use an old isolinux version of course.

I tested several isolinux versions. Isolinux verions >=3.51 boot
kernel 2.6.23 just fine - but not on old, b0rken hardware.

I'm aware of btmgr's existence but that's not a solution for me,
because this is a workaround involving an additional step on the
user's side. :(

Is there any chance to get around this situation? Is there a
specific reason why isolinux >=3.51 (AFAICS) does not support older,
b0rken hardware at all? A build flag --iknowmyhardwareisb0rken would
be fine for me as well of course. ;)

thx && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins