[syslinux] Linux client cannot mount to NFS-Root: Portmap RPC call returned error 101

a s p a s i a aspasia.sf at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 09:24:45 PST 2008

Hello all,

I have seen various reports on this error posted in the past few
years, but was unable to find a resolution to the various postings.
I've googled the error messages too, and have hit on various sporadic
similar problems encountered with no resolutions ..

Apologize if this has been exhaustively queried upon in the past;
however, I'd like to try asking again, nevertheless:

Issue - testing to allow a server to PXE boot over the network to a
TFTP/DHCP/NFS enabled PXE boot server that contains the NFS-Root image
so that the server can run Fedora 6 onto an NFS-root mount.

PXE server:
has tftp/dhcp and NFS daemons working;  I was able to test deploying
another server via kickstart against my tftpd,dhcpd and nfs
confiurations.  I have also successfully mounted manually to the
/tftpboot and /nfsroot exports;  /pxelinux.cfg/default file is
configured correctly:

DEFAULT vmlinuz-2.6.18-2.6.18.2Test3
APPEND root=/dev/nfs rw
nfsroot=192.168.1.5:/export/images/fedora6_x86-64 ip=192.168.1.30

- I have configured the kernel via make menuconfig to enable the Root
Files Systems on NFS parameter; and recompiled - (instructions from
How2Forge on downloading source, recompiling etc.)
- I done the mknod /dev/nfs b 0 255
- disabled /etc/syslinux/config
- have exported in my PXE server's images directory the approriate -
bin dev etc lib mnt proc root sbin tmp usr var - directories in root

PXE Client - is able to get dhcp address, see the pxelinux.cfg ...
etc.... seems to proceed but stumbles thereafter with the following
error:

"Looking up port of RPC 10003/2 on 192.168.1.5
Portmap RPC call returned error 101
Root-NFS Unable to get nfsd port # from server, using default ...."

Any thoughts, pointers, advise and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

best,
--
A S P A S I A