[syslinux] isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Feb 13 14:32:08 PST 2008

William Thompson wrote:

> Sure.
>
> I've attached the image.  I didn't want to type all that (nor make mistakes
> in doing so)
>
> The machine is a Dell Dimension L866r.  I just upgraded my syslinux to 3.61
> (from debian sid)

Your VESA BIOS doesn't support linear framebuffer mode, which is very
odd -- that has been a standard feature since the late 486 days.  I'm
curious what video chipset you have.

However, the infrastructure I use for handing multiple pixel formats can
be leveraged to support paged modes, so I don't promise anything, but
this might be fixable.