[syslinux] isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Thu Feb 14 03:30:50 PST 2008

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20080213 20:22]:
> Michael Prokop wrote:

> > recent isolinux versions work fine with current linux kernels on
> > current hardware. But on older hardware there isn't a bootsplash
> > visible at all - like if there isn't a CD in the tray. :(

> > Is there any chance to get around this situation? Is there a
> > specific reason why isolinux >=3.51 (AFAICS) does not support older,
> > b0rken hardware at all? A build flag --iknowmyhardwareisb0rken would
> > be fine for me as well of course. ;)

> Without some detail on your configuration, the exact failure mode, and
> what constitutes "old b0rken hardware", this isn't an answerable question.

Hardware information (not my own systems, forwarding information
from users) - all systems are working fine with older isolinux
versions but fail to boot with current versions:

* Pentium 3 800
  BIOS: aopen ax34 1.06
  CD-ROM: crd-8520b

* AMD Athlon XP 1700+
  BIOS: ASUS 7100PRO/SI232 VGA BIOS Version 3.11.00.18.AS07
  CD-burner: LITE-ON LTR-16102B
  DVD-ROM: ATAPI DVD-ROM 16x (Firmware 422F)

* AMD Duron 800
  BIOS: AWARD Modulas BIOS v6.00PG, An Energy Star Vally
        WG 330MS V2.2. 011101, Plug and Play Bios Extention v1.0A
  CD-ROM: ATAPI PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W2410A

Failure mode: nothing isolinux related is visible at all, like if
there weren't a bootable CD available. Is there anything we could do
to provide additional information to you?

Regarding the configuration: we're using just a simple
PROMPT+DISPLAY setup within isolinux. The full configuration file is
available online:

  http://hg.grml.org/grml-live/file/tip/templates/boot/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

thx && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins