[syslinux] isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Thu Feb 14 13:38:08 PST 2008

* H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> [20080214 21:42]:
> Michael Prokop wrote:

> > What I don't understand yet is the empty /proc/cmdline when using
> > older isolinux versions. Do you have any idea what might be the
> > reason for that?

> Yes, it's a bug in older syslinux versions that affects newer kernels.

Ah, great that you know this, thanks. :) What was the relevant
change/bug? Is there any chance to get the old behaviour back? ;)

JFYI: I built 5 ISOs at total, using different mkisofs versions
(2.01 from Debian vs. 2.01.01a37 from upstream manually compiled)
and isolinux versions (3.31 vs. 3.61) in its different combinations.
Finally one ISO using grub as bootloader just as reference. My
testers have access to their machines tomorrow, as soon as I've some
news I'll mail them to the list.

regards,
-mika-