[syslinux] problem solved (was: isolinux problem: recent kernel versions vs. old hardware)

Michael Prokop news at michael-prokop.at
Fri Feb 15 07:31:47 PST 2008

* Michael Prokop <news at michael-prokop.at> [20080213 12:30]:

> recent isolinux versions work fine with current linux kernels on
> current hardware. But on older hardware there isn't a bootsplash
> visible at all - like if there isn't a CD in the tray. :(
[...]

Alright, looks like we¹ located the problem: the /boot/isolinux/
directory seems to be too big for older systems. It was about 12MB
of space. Now I've minimized the content of /boot/isolinux/ and
isolinux version 3.61 seems to work fine on older hardware again.

HPA, do you have any idea for the reason of this problem? Maybe this
could be mentioned somewhere in the docs, so other users don't fall
into this trap?

¹ Credits for testing to Andrea Mayr and Wernfried Haas.

thx && regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins