[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Feb 21 09:27:01 PST 2008

detlef oertel wrote:

> We tried different versions of pxelinux (3.11, 3.61, 3.62-pre12) with no success.
> Then we tried version 2.04 from 2003 and all works fine.
> We think it is no good idea to use this old version in a 400 Client environment.
>
> Attached is hardware inventary file of this optiplex 740.
>
> Any idea what going wrong here ?

No idea.

Since you have a working version, albeit ancient, it would be useful if
you could find out the exact version *including prereleases* which is
the last one working.

Even better, if you're comfortable with "git bisect", pull the git tree
and try to bisect:

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git
cd syslinux
git bisect start
git bisect good
git bisect syslinux-2.04

Then:
make spotless && make
make bisect {good|bad}

... repeat until done ...

Unfortunately, it's easy to land at an "unbisectable" spot :(

If so, it helps to narrow down the "good/bad" range by trying releases
and prereleases as I mentioned above.