[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

detlef oertel d.oertel at uib.de
Fri Feb 22 06:11:07 PST 2008

detlef oertel schrieb:

> H. Peter Anvin schrieb:
>> detlef oertel wrote:
>>> We tried different versions of pxelinux (3.11, 3.61, 3.62-pre12) with no success.
>>> Then we tried version 2.04 from 2003 and all works fine.
>>> We think it is no good idea to use this old version in a 400 Client environment.
>>>
>>> Attached is hardware inventary file of this optiplex 740.
>>>
>>> Any idea what going wrong here ?
>>>
>> No idea.
>>
>> Since you have a working version, albeit ancient, it would be useful if
>> you could find out the exact version *including prereleases* which is
>> the last one working.
>>
>> Even better, if you're comfortable with "git bisect", pull the git tree
>> and try to bisect:
>>
>> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/boot/syslinux/syslinux.git
>> cd syslinux
>> git bisect start
>> git bisect good
>> git bisect syslinux-2.04
>>
>> Then:
>> make spotless && make
>> make bisect {good|bad}
>>
>> ... repeat until done ...
>>
>> Unfortunately, it's easy to land at an "unbisectable" spot :(
>>
>> If so, it helps to narrow down the "good/bad" range by trying releases
>> and prereleases as I mentioned above.
>>
>> 	-hpa

> Hello hpa,
>
> ok, we doing some more tests....
>
> regards
>
> detlef oertel

Hello hpa,

because git-bisec is unknown to me I tried the Versions from
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux/Old/

the results are:

2.04 runs
2.06 runs
2.08 runs
2.09 Error: failed to initialize udp-stack
2.13 Error: failed to initialize udp-stack
3.00 crash after start loading miniroot.gz (like 3.11 or 3.61)

Anything else I can do ?

regards

detlef oertel

--
detlef oertel

Tel. 06131 / 27561-10
Fax  06131 / 27561-22

eMail: d.oertel at uib.de

uib umwelt informatik büro gmbh

Firmensitz / Anschrift:
Bonifaziusplatz 1B
55118 Mainz

internet: www.uib.de

Geschäftsführer: dr. detlef oertel
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Mainz HRB 6942