[syslinux] SYSLINUX 3.62-pre13, release candidate

Bryan Perry bperry at novell.com
Fri Feb 22 08:18:02 PST 2008

Peter Anvin" <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
> BuraphaLinux Server wrote:
>> Do you have a sample config using the new menus you can share?  I
>> looked at the menu.doc but did not see an example, just some
>> explanations of individual commands.
>
> Here are a couple of excerpts from my config... sorry, don't have time
> to do anything more right now... (it's late here)
>
> Please ignore the line wrapping...
>
> [...]
>
> label local
>          menu label ^Local boot
>          localboot 0
>          menu default
>
> menu begin fedora
> menu label Fedora Network Install
>
> menu background purpleflowers.jpg
> menu color title 1;35;44    #c0f090f0 #00000000 std
>
> label fc8-32
>          menu label Fedora Core 8 Install i386
>          kernel linux.c32
>          append fedora/8/i386/vmlinuz initrd=fedora/8/i386/initrd.img
> ramdisk_size=8192
> ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=i386&ver=8
>          ipappend 2
>
> label fc8-64
>          menu label Fedora Core ^8 Install x86-64
>          kernel linux.c32
>          append fedora/8/x86-64/vmlinuz
> initrd=fedora/8/x86-64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=8192
> ks=http://raidtest.hos.anvin.org/kickstart/ks.php?arch=x86_64&ver=8
>          ipappend 2
>
> menu end
>
> [...]
>

> menu begin huge
> menu label Really huge menu
>
> label -
>          menu label Goto ^top menu
>          menu goto .top
>
> label -
>          menu label Goto ^Fedora menu
>          menu goto fedora
>
> label -
>          menu label ^Up one level
>          menu exit
>
> label -
>          menu label ^Quit to the CLI
>          menu quit
>
> [...]
>
> menu end

Excellent work! I really like the new menu system. It completely solves my problem of not having the labels from the submenus available at the CLI. Thank you so much.

One minor thing I noticed that may need tweaked is the use of the caret (^) in the menu label to set a hot key works well on the main menu, but when the same MENU LABEL statement is used as the title text for the submenu, the caret is displayed as part of the title text.

I'll keep playing with it for a bit as I re-write my menu tree in this new format. I'll post any other findings.

Again, great work.
-Bryan