[syslinux] CHAINing to a USB Thumb Drive

Mr Roboto mr-roboto at linuxmail.org
Mon Feb 25 02:17:05 PST 2008

I was doing a laptop repair job today and needed to boot from a USB
thumb drive, in order to free up the CD/DVD burner.  Fortunately, the
laptop to be repaired permitted one to boot from a USB thumb drive.
However, there are still PCs out there that can't boot from a thumb
drive (I have two), so I was wondering if it's pos to use the CHAIN
module to boot from a thumb drive ?  I looked at the source for the
module, but no joy there.

If CHAIN can't be used, does anyone on the list have a suggestion for
enhancing my SYSLINUX project w/ a tiny Linux distro, which could be
used as a simple USB thumb drive bootstrap ?  TIA....Jet