[syslinux] pxelinux fails to load miniroot completly

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Feb 25 12:01:47 PST 2008

Op 22-02-2008 om 11:07 schreef detlef oertel:
> Geert Stappers schrieb:
> > Op 21-02-2008 om 16:44 schreef detlef oertel:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> we have the following problem:
> >> - a new Dell Optiplex 740 boots pxelinux.0
> >> - loads the kernel
> >> - start to load the miniroot.gz and crashs after loading about 1/5 of the miniroot
> >>
> >> Any idea what going wrong here ?
> >
> > Not yet.
> >
> > What is the version of the kernel?
> > What is the size of the initial RAM disk?
> >
> > Is it possible to put your kernel and miniroot.gz on a public server,
> > so that it can be tested in another enviroment?
> >

> Hello,
>
> here are the requested informations
> Kernelversion is 2.6.24
> ramdisk_size=159844

That is the used boot parameter _value_
the initial RAMdisk is however 53 Megabyte

> Kernel and miniroot can be found in the following debian package:
> http://download.uib.de/debian/dists/etch/opsi3.2/binary-i386/opsi-linux-bootimage_20080207-1_all.deb
> The crash happens before the Kernel starts - while loading the miniroot.gz
>
> I forgot to mention that it is not only a pxelinux.0 based problem:
> with isolinux we get the same situation (3.11 fails, 2.04 works)

With  pxelinux 3.61 I got
.....................[many more dots, it is 53Mb]...................ready.
Issuing RESET:
Undefined video mode number: 317
Press <ENTER> to see video modes available
 [more video mode stuff]

With removing 'vga=791 quiet splash service' from the append line,
the kernel comes alive. It stops[1] at

Hope this Helps
Geert Stappers

[1] Infact I stopped wait for progress from the booting kernel